Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Before and After

Lately, I am struck by a sense that there are no "accidents". It's not that I relinquish all ownership of my actions, or that I think there is some being that purposefully orchestrates all events... Instead I am newly sensing the flow of the consequences,  B from A, C from B and so on, in not just my life, but everyone's.
That flow doesn't have to (indeed doesn't often!)  make sense. (How could it?) Yet we struggle mightily to make evident connections that will give sense and meaning to them to step back from the awful realization that control is an illusion; that we are always "one event" away from something that changes us irretrievably.
A fall, a fracture, a smile, a missed flight - and then suddenly there is a "before" and an "after" both precariously balanced on the knife edge of "now".

No comments:

Post a Comment