Thursday, March 17, 2011

Quality versus quantity

Well I managed to write daily for a week during my week away, but it has been quite a bit more challenging to write regularly during re-entry. Some of the difficulty is my varied schedule and not having the luxury of prepared meals at home. But more rests on my difficulty using the computer during Hospice home visits and opting instead to type them up at night.
My resistance is on several levels. On the one hand, it is against every human instinct I have to try to type these sensitive visits while they occur. It is hard enough to surreptitiously hand write the few notes I take, let alone trying to cut and paste the information in multiple pages that don't often follow the flow of the story. And then there is the quality of the story itself.. I don't care what computer program you use, a drop down menu does not do justice to what these patients and families experience. Part of me writes these notes in detail to honor the telling.
On the other hand, any new skill is difficult at first. I can clearly remember medical school, when even a hand written note needed several edits and much time. And, in all honesty, I want my personal time back. A lot to think about in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment