Sunday, March 6, 2011

Casualties of winter

Winter is finally loosening its grip on us so yesterday, I took the opportunity to survey my backyard pond. The ice has open areas now, but there was a week while I was away that the pond heater light went out and the pond froze completely. I was hopeful that the pond was large enough to support the koi and other creatures submerged in winter sleep, but this morning I found 5 large dead koi floating, along with a bullfrog and some chubs. I haven't seen the turtle yet but have little hope. I fished out the koi, mourning the loss of familiar friends. They actually had names, personalities and recognizable features. So today I mourn for Hot Lips, Princess Mononoke, Bubba, Rosey and Sephora. You gave me great peace during your 8 years here. I sure hope there are a few surviving kin in there come spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment